My Canadian Pharmacy Reveals Myths about Asthma

Myths and Facts about Asthma

Bronchial asthma is a chronic respiratory tract disease, which has non-infectious origin and is accompanied by pronounced symptoms. This is the most common asthma definition. Asthma has a rather complicated mechanism of development. The disease can be inherited. It can also occur at previously healthy man on the background of any internal changes in the body or under surrounding environment factors influence. Occurrence of asthma is associated with changes in bronchial reactivity and sensitivity. Asthma can be of various types, depending on triggering factor.

First signs of asthma are quite easy to recognize. It is usually dyspnea, tightness in the chest, severe dry cough, difficulties with breathing.

Today, question of whether it is possible to cure asthma, My Canadian Pharmacy experts answer with unequivocal «no». This disease is considered incurable. Modern therapeutic methods allow to reduce disease symptoms to minimum and prevent its dangerous consequences.

myths about asthma

Thus, understanding conditions / factors that cause / trigger asthma and how asthma can manifest itself over time is vital. Here are some myths and facts about asthma revealed by My Canadian Pharmacy:

1. Myth – Asthma Cause is “in the Head”

Fact: Asthma is not a psychological condition. Nevertheless, emotional triggers can be causes of asthma attacks.

2. Myth – Children can “Outgrow” Asthma

Fact: You can not outgrow asthma. Approximately in 50% of children with asthma (among which almost 100% are children with mild asthma), this condition may become inactive during adolescence. However, symptoms / attacks can repeat at any time in adulthood.

3. Myth – Asthma can be Cured, so it is not a Serious Disease and not Fatal

Fact: There are no cure for asthma, but the disease can be controlled at most patients. Asthma attacks are necessary to be controlled, since uncontrolled asthma can lead to hospitalization and eventual death.

4. True – A child is Prone to Asthma if Someone in the Family had Asthma

Fact: A child has 6% chance of developing asthma if neither of parents has / had asthma; 30% chance if one parent has asthma and 70% chance if both parents have asthma.

5. Myth – You can get Asthma from Someone suffering from Asthma

Fact: Asthma is not contagious.

6. Myth – Moving to Another Country can Cure Asthma

Fact: Moving to a new area can temporarily improve asthma symptoms, but it will not cure asthma. After a few years of living in a new place, many people become sensitive to new environment and asthma symptoms return with the same or even greater intensity than before.

7. Myth – Children with Asthma Should not Do Exercises and / or Sports

Fact: Swimming is the best sport for children with asthma. On the other hand, exercise on dry, cool air can trigger asthma attacks at some children. More than 10% of Olympic champions in all sports are asthmatics.

8. Myth – Asthma does not Require Medical Treatment

Fact: Asthma is best controlled if doctor made / created treatment plan that includes medication used for quick relief of attacks (asthma inhalers) and drugs that are used as controllers. Also asthma home remdies can be very useful for disease control.