Golden autumn is slowly coming to the end, and here is winter coming into their rights.
For someone this time is so wonderful and amazing, miraculous and unforgettable. And someone it brings continuous surprises, that for most people results in diseases caused by viral infections, and at some «lucky» people such exotic problem as allergy to cold appears.
And it is worth noting that over time such incidents occur with increasing frequency. It is difficult to name true cause of this type of allergy, maybe it is connected to terrible environment and quality of modern food. But the very fact of its existence is undeniable, and it really affects people.
Manifestation of this allergic reaction is somewhat different from the rest, so cold allergy (as it is called by people) is considered pseudoallergy. After all, in fact there is no allergen in cold or in the air, and body’s response appears is precisely to physical cold factor.
Cold Allergy Causes
As we mentioned above, it is very difficult to clearly talk about this type of allergy in absence of allergen agent. This means that necessary antibodies are not produced in the organism, as in situation with pollen or dust.
But for all that, cold is the triggering mechanism, which causes immune failures body’s cells, which subsequently expressed in violation of their integrity and rapid histamine release, accompanying allergic reactions.
Also causes enhancing cold allergy may be: genetic predisposition, intoxication of the whole organism, chronic infections, such as tonsillitis, pyelonephritis (read more), tooth decay, as well as worms, gastrointestinal tract and liver disorders, stress and medications.
By the way, to find out whether you have allergy to cold or not, you should put at any part of your body a piece of ice for not more than 10 minutes. If after removing ice, you will find rash and itching, then you are likely to be predisposed to it. Yet this is not a definitive diagnosis, and you need specialist consultation for its confirmation by certain analyzes and tests.
Main Symptoms of Cold Allergy
External signs of allergies are affected areas of the body that have red rash, swelling and blisters, accompanied by strong and unpleasant sensations of itching and burning. Most often it resembles sting, for which this type of allergy was nicknamed as «cold urticaria fever».
The worst thing is that symptoms of cold allergy can manifest itself not only at severe frosts, but at a slight decrease in temperature and even at strong wind or drafts.
Since centers of symptoms are open areas of the body, allergy manifests itself primarily on arms, hands and face, which are minimally covered from cold. But in extreme cases, its symptoms appear also on forearms, that do not have sufficient amount of fat and sweat glands, without which the body reacts to cold twice as fast.
Other manifestations include inflammation of lips skin, sudden allergic runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, fatigue, headaches, and even bronchospasm (difficulties with breathing). To more severe forms of the disease can be attributed: fever, tachycardia, severe dyspnea and sometimes vomiting.
After contact with snow or cold rain there can appear more enhanced reaction to cold, which will be accompanied by red swollen bubbles with clear liquid, which sometimes leads to inflammation of lips tissues and swelling, which in medicine is called «cold cheilitis».
Watch the video for getting more information about Allergic to the Cold:
Types of Cold Allergy
- Cold urticaria fever – can be both chronic and acute. Main symptoms are appearance of blisters on open areas of the body with itching which is very similar to urticaria fever. Also body temperature may increase and muscle aches may appear.
- Cold dermatitis – usually accompanied by redness, peeling and itching, as well as extensive edema.
- Pseudoallergic cold runny nose – often called rhinitis, which main features are: constant sneezing, liquid discharge from nose, headache and general fatigue. Symptoms quickly stops when patient goes into a warm room.
- Pseudoallergic conjunctivitis – this disease form can be characterized by unpleasant sensation in the eyes, burning and excessive tearing.
- Cold asthma – this is perhaps the most unpleasant and dangerous form of allergy to cold, causing asthma attacks, severe dyspnea. At slightest hint to this kind of allergy you need to seek help at the hospital.
Treatment of Cold Allergy
If basis for cold allergy emergence is domestic human immune disorders, as well as problems associated with internal organs functioning such as stomach disorders, disbacteriousis, ulcers, gallbladder inflammation, hepatitis, problems with maxillary sinuses, usual approaches to its treatment are not always effective.
For example, taking antihistamines and other anti-allergic medications before going outdoors can bring only temporary relief to the patient. Therefore, in order to successfully deal with allergies to cold, you need to eliminate its root cause.
So, first of all you need to go to gastroenterologist and allergist to examine your entire body. Basing on results, doctor will prescribe appropriate treatment, select correct diet, which is very important in this situation. The list of essential medicines include enzymatic, cholagogus and antiparasitic drugs that protect your liver and improve stomach condition.
Also a very effective method to treat cold allergy is carrying out several mineral water courses, which should be consumed hot half an hour before each meal. But this method needs to be discussed with your doctor, because it is very individual, and not for everyone.
You probably know how useful proper body cold training is. Prepare two baths of cold and warm water, and begin to put hands alternately in different baths for 30 seconds. Do 3 sets, completing procedure with cold water.
Prevention of Cold Allergy
Unfortunately, we are not able to impact on weather conditions, so our main task – to reduce their negative effects on the body.
Here are basic rules, you should adhere to:
- choose clothing made of only natural fabrics. The best option – cotton, which does not cause allergies;
- clothing should always be dry. If you get wet in the street, be sure to change your clothes;
- in cold weather, always use hygienic lipstick;
- 30 minutes before going outside, apply special cream with UV-protection on face and hands;
- in your wardrobe warm gloves, hats, scarves, high winter boots, sweaters and pants with a heater must be present;
- in cold weather, refrain from using body scrubs and alkaline-based soaps;
- about half an hour before going out get warm with hot tea;
- if possible, limit coffee, chocolate, smoked foods, citrus fruits, strawberries and pineapple consumption. And be sure to exclude ice cream;
- before eating food out of refrigerator it is necessary to heat it to room temperature;
- add to your daily diet such essential to any organism products (also rich in omega-3 fatty acids) as nuts, fish and olive oil;
- in case of blisters on skin appearance, they should be treated with brilliant green;
- at strong and unbearable itch, apply lotion of baking soda solution to affected sites of the skin.
Allergy to Cold Water
Unfortunately, people who are allergic to cold, and are also prone to allergic reactions to cold water. Therefore, you are strictly prohibited to take cold baths or showers. Also body cold training is contraindicated. After all, this kind of allergy can be extremely dangerous to human health with most unpredictable consequences.
So be very careful, because even a small drop of cold water can cause strong swelling of throat and abdominal pains.
In conclusion My Canadian Pharmacy (what are we?) wants to advise you to be careful and attentive to your health, because timely detected infection may be rapidly curable without serious consequences for the body!